Rick & Cyndi

Default Upright Freezer found!

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...
:
: "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in message
: >
: > Surprisingly not...just within a very greedy section! We're
: > actually right in between 2 very large towns:
Bloomington/Normal,
: > Ill and Peoria, Ill. Both towns have around 100 k people...
but
: > you would think that since they weren't supersized like
Chicago
: > or St. Louis... that they'd maintain some small town
: > friendliness and service. No such luck! That's why I refer
: > this area as Armpit, Illinois.

: I've been to Chicago and found the people there to be rather
nice for a
: large city. I'd secribe it as New York, but with manners.

Hmmm. And I've found the two cities the opposite. Everytime
I've been in and through New York I've always had the best
time... everyone seemed pleasant, polite, friendly... Chicago
was "luck of the draw" depending upon who I asked/encountered for
what... FYI we're 2 1/2 hours away from Chicago and 3 hours away
from St. Louis (very friendly large city!).

: >
: > Our specific neighborhood is friendly and kind... but drive 1
: > mile out of the town's limit... oh lawdy! Our little town
has
: > less than 10 K of people within it's outer boundries but the
: > township probably has less than 3K within the actual "city
: > limits". We even have a couple of stop lights! But since
our
: > proximity to larger cities is so close and our town so
small...
: > we just don't have that many stores (ie, appliance stores) so
we
: > have to rely on whatever Peoria or Bloomington have to
offer...
: > which means even though distance-wise, we're only as far away
as
: > 'across town' for most larger cities... we're 'long distance'
: > where these two cities are concerned.

: We get a similar reaction fromt he cities around us. I'm in
Putnam CT, in
: the northeast corner of the state. Population 10k, next town
south about
: 15k. That puts us tiny comapred to Hartford CT, Worcester MA,
Providence
: RI, all of which are 35 miles away. We do, however, have a few
appliance
: dealers. They offer very competitive prices now that most
belong to buying
: co-ops. Service is outstanding. When our old freezer dies, the
nearby dealer
: did not have the one we wanted in stock and it would be 2 days.
So, he
: brough another freezer, helped my wife transfer the food. Two
days later
: brought he one we wanted and set it up, helped again witht he
transfer and
: took everything away. Total cost was maybe $25 more than the
big
: discounters for the same new freezer. .

Nice neck of the woods! It's been a while since I've been around
there. Not since the mid 90s, I reckon.

:
: We had a 22 year old Maytag washer. It was not working right
so I bought
: new belts. That was not the problem so I went back to the
dealer to look at
: new machines. He had what we wanted in stock, he took back the
belts at the
: price I paid for them, delivered and set up the new machine and
took away
: the old one. All of this in two hours from the time we visited
the store.
: And the price was still compeitive with the stores in the
cities
: surrounding us. Maybe we are just lucky to have a few good
dealers.
: Ed
:
Wow. Good dealers and 'good' people!

Bloomington is a friendlier town than Peoria because it's more
transient (my guess, anyway)... there's more money spent there,
due to the colleges and a few other nearby things. It also has a
couple of Interstates going through it which helps a lot...
Peoria, OTOH, is a wannabe Chicago but doesn't have the trade,
commerce or the necessities to do so! IIRC, back around 1800, or
so, Peoria was actually larger than Chicago and to talk with some
of the city's Powers-that-be... nah, Not going there....
nevermind. <snort> Here's a link about Peoria:
http://www.villageprofile.com/illino...a/peoria3.html Since
that site was done, they've built a super stadium (!) for their
little baseball team... they had another little ball field that
the team played at... attendence was so low that it was amazing
that the team stayed in Peoria or was disbanded; meanwhile, the
mysterious "they" decide (it actually started from a 'dream' of
one of the city's more affluent...blah, blah...) that all of a
sudden, Peoria NEEDS a new stadium, as in one like Major leaguers
play at... (why? game attendence was usually less than *50*
people! Seriously!)... In their defense, for the first couple
of games they did have maybe a couple thousand but that has since
dwindled - again - Surprise!... oh, and guess what, they planted
*Palm Trees*, from Florida... <shakes head>.... Hello,
Illinois, zone 5... snow, ice...

Sorry Ed, I said I wasn't gonna go there.

Anyway, the freezer is home and cold and I'll be moving things
into it today! Yay!!