Edwin Pawlowski

Default Upright Freezer found!

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in message

> Surprisingly not...just within a very greedy section! We're
> actually right in between 2 very large towns: Bloomington/Normal,
> Ill and Peoria, Ill. Both towns have around 100 k people... but
> you would think that since they weren't supersized like Chicago
> or St. Louis... that they'd maintain some small town
> friendliness and service. No such luck! That's why I refer to
> this area as Armpit, Illinois.

I've been to Chicago and found the people there to be rather nice for a
large city. I'd secribe it as New York, but with manners.

> Our specific neighborhood is friendly and kind... but drive 1
> mile out of the town's limit... oh lawdy! Our little town has
> less than 10 K of people within it's outer boundries but the
> township probably has less than 3K within the actual "city
> limits". We even have a couple of stop lights! But since our
> proximity to larger cities is so close and our town so small...
> we just don't have that many stores (ie, appliance stores) so we
> have to rely on whatever Peoria or Bloomington have to offer...
> which means even though distance-wise, we're only as far away as
> 'across town' for most larger cities... we're 'long distance'
> where these two cities are concerned.

We get a similar reaction fromt he cities around us. I'm in Putnam CT, in
the northeast corner of the state. Population 10k, next town south about
15k. That puts us tiny comapred to Hartford CT, Worcester MA, Providence
RI, all of which are 35 miles away. We do, however, have a few appliance
dealers. They offer very competitive prices now that most belong to buying
co-ops. Service is outstanding. When our old freezer dies, the nearby dealer
did not have the one we wanted in stock and it would be 2 days. So, he
brough another freezer, helped my wife transfer the food. Two days later
brought he one we wanted and set it up, helped again witht he transfer and
took everything away. Total cost was maybe $25 more than the big
discounters for the same new freezer. .

We had a 22 year old Maytag washer. It was not working right so I bought
new belts. That was not the problem so I went back to the dealer to look at
new machines. He had what we wanted in stock, he took back the belts at the
price I paid for them, delivered and set up the new machine and took away
the old one. All of this in two hours from the time we visited the store.
And the price was still compeitive with the stores in the cities
surrounding us. Maybe we are just lucky to have a few good dealers.
Ed