Ashley

Default Is ventilation really necessary?

Hi all,

We have a 48-inch DCS slide in range with a 48 inch Viking hood. We've
owned them for 7 years and are now doing some remodeling. We are
raising the ceiling and making the cooking area an "island"—we will no
longer use the overhead hood. My question: I've NEVER used the hood
and wonder if it's really necessary to have some type of ventilation.
Is it a law (we are in so cal)? Will the kitchen police arrest me if
I'm caught? I'm willing to buy some sort of downdraft system but can't
seem to find one that's an add on for a "slide in" type range. I have
plenty of room on my island for any type of downdraft, just not
directly under the cook top!

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice,
Ashley