Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
The Galloping Gourmand The Galloping Gourmand is offline

Default Mexican food is a ceremony!

On Jan 28, 12:15?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> So you see? You are already helping with the definition of Mexican food...
> you say chile must be present in the recipe. I claim chile is served in a
> nearby bowl in the form of salsas. Let the eater heat to taste.

No, I am NOT saying that chile must be present in the recipe. I am
saying that I hestitate to offer any recipe that doesn't contain
chiles, being wary of those who claim that "no hay comida sin chiles."

When reading modern recipes in Spanish and translating them, I often
wonder whether it's a recipe from the USA which has been translated
into Spanish, or if it's a traditional Mexican recipe.

And then there are commercial recipes that were invented to promote
products sold in Mexico in the 1950's and 1960's, like "Pastel de Tres
Leches". It's a sponge cake soaked in condensed milk and evaporated
milk and is said to be sinfully rich.

I never heard of such a cake before reading about it in Spanish, but
it seems to be popular in San Antonio.

Also, you still didn't tell me what Porfirio Diaz did to "authentic"
Mexican cooking that was to its detriment.