Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gunner[_4_] Gunner[_4_] is offline

Default Mexican food is a ceremony?????

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
news
> Chili verde... need to know more. There are many ways to make the many
> versions of the many different words in chili verde.
>
> Chili is normally associated with the Texas style fabulous chili in all
> it's
> variations with and withouth beans.
>
> Chile is normally used to describe a Serrano, Habanero, Ancho, Anaheim,
> Poblano, Jalapeno... etc.
>
> If I were to take a shot at what you may be looking for is a north of the
> border concoction made up during the height of the Brazero program during
> WWII.
>
> Stop here if I'm not hitting the mark. But chili verde, in this case, is a
> 'gravy' made from green tomatillos, onion, garlic, cilantro and serrano
> chiles. I call this a north of the border because it contains actual
> chiles
> in the recipe. Not what you find in most south of the border Mexican
> recipes.
>
> If this is what you are looking for, let me know and I'll give you a few
> variations. Most will include some form of meat, beef mostly north of the
> border, and used to smother burritos to make a delightful meal.
>
> Wayne

Oh Geez, like there is some magic to making "Mexican" food that only the
truly pious can understand and to add insult to injury we still have the
class distinction of the "north and south".

A Green Chile Sauce, Mole or Salsa can be made in many way and it usually is
a just component to a dish. So here is one for a basic Chile Verde Sauce.
Just make it with the best and freshest ingredients you can find.

This will make about 3 cups (x 2 and you get twice as much) .

1 pound tomatillos, husked
1 medium to large white onion, coarsely chopped
3 or 4 large garlic cloves, depending on taste, leave them unpeeled until
roasted
3-4 fresh chiles of choice or a combo of 3-4
3 tablespoons cooking oil or Lard
1/2 -teaspoon salt
1/4 -teaspoon pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1/3-cup cilantro (optional)
1 tblspn cumin (optional)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl, mix tomatillos, onion, garlic and
your chile de jour. Toss in 2 tblspn of the cooking oil, season with the
salt and pepper. Pour onto a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 35-45
minutes, until peppers and tomatillos are charred in spots and the garlic
turns a golden brown in its husk . Cool, peel the garlic and then puree
the mixture in a blender or processor. Be careful when putting a hot mixture
in a blender or processor as it expands quite rapidly, almost explosively
when really hot and steam is contained

At this step you have a chunky puree for use as a thick salsa for chips or
use on eggs, chicken, fish or even meat, just reseason, throw in some
cilantro and serve. If you want to make a sauce more suited to enchiladas or
chile Verde, heat the remaining 1-tablespoon oil in a large skillet over
medium high heat. Pour Tomatillo/Chile puree mixture into the skillet all at
once and cook, stirring for about 4 minutes until thickened and darker. Add
the chicken broth and the cilantro, bring to boil, and reduce to simmer.
Simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce it thick enough to coat the
back of a spoon. If you like cumin , add it at this step to allow the spice
to infuse in the simmer at about a 1/2 tspn at a time until it suits your
taste. Lastly, reseason with additional salt/pepper, if desired. .