Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default Mexican food is a ceremony!

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message .

---snip----

> Tell us about the Sanborn Heresy and the Diaz Conspiracy. It might be
> interesting.

-------

You would be disappointed with my recipe for Biste a la Tampiquena because
it is nothing more than a nice broiled steak on a wide plate, scoop of
refried beans on one end with the right amount of tortilla chips, a scoop of
guacamole on the other end, and three rolled red cheese or chicken
enchiladas above the steak. Which, in your unhumble opinion are nothing more
than antojitos to be found on the walls of any taco shop.

Last night's meal was a complete meal in every respect. Chicken broth soup
to start with, chicken enchiladas topped with sour cream, diced onions and
as much chile as the individual eater likes, beans and the desert was a
combination of fresh fruits and fruit cake. I'd say that is a complete meal.
The salsas making up for whatever idea of a salad. So... soup, salad,
chicken, tortillas, beans...

This morning I used left over salsas I used in making the enchiladas, made
some fresh green salsa and served my guests a complete breakfast meal
consisting of two poached eggs in the salsas, one green and one red, served
over two lightly fried tortillas and a side of beans. Each 'eater' put their
own onion, cilantro, chile, salt, pepper... whatever. These are called
huevos divorciados and a delight to anybody who likes Mexican food... or
just good food.

Sanborns chefs 'invented' the Enchiladas Suisas, which are basically green
enchiladas topped with Mexican style sour cream.

The Puebla Protocol thing is nothing more than my humble attempt to classify
some of the origins of Mexican food and culture based on historical fact or
historical fiction since it is impossible to really get to the historical
truth what with the burning of all but a few codices written by the ancients
and observations by Spanish priests who certainly wrote with a jaded eye by
condemning everything as heretical and unChristian.

You probably consider anything with chile in it to be Mexican?