DawnK

Default Waterless Cooking: Cooking and nutrient loss

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> Here is a discussion of nutrient loss in cooking from "Cookwise" by

Shirley
> Corriier, P 353-356.
> The unexpected stability of nutrients
>

> When cooking in water, you also have the ability to minimize or control

how
> much flavor is extracted from a food. For example, if you want to extract
> flavor, as in stock making or sauce making, you can put the food into cold
> water, bring the temperature up slowly, and simmer for a long time. If

you
> have ever tasted the onions or celery left after straining stock, you know
> they are almost devoid of flavor.

Yes, I have noticed that when making soup stock. I have tried a carrot that
gave up its life to chicken broth and they don't taste very good. The broth
however is excellent! Someday this cold season, I will have time to make
some chicken broth, too!

Dawn