Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gunner[_4_] Gunner[_4_] is offline

Default Tortas de Cangrejo (Crab Cakes)

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> On Jan 24, 1:22 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>> > JackI'm a crab lover! Experience is that a two pound crab will yield
>> > about a

>> quarter pound of meat when all is said and done. I like my crab
>> unfretted,
>> with just some mayo on the side... >>
>> Wayne

> I grew up two blocks from Galveston Bay, on the Gulf of Mexico. My
> sister and I spent our Summers (as 8-12 year olds) crabbing every day
> and bringing home wash tubs full of crabs. We had them boiled, fried,
> in gumbo, etc. However, the Mayo thing you mentioned doesn't really
> turn me on... we just picked out the meat and ate it cold turkey.
> Ummmm. I also have to say that the Riesling thing doesn't do it for
> me, either. I like really dry wines... even with seafood. But, now,
> as a codger, I like Bloody Mary's with my boiled or fried seafood...
> and maybe a little cocktall sauce every 5th or 6th lump of crab meat.
>
> As far as The crab meat can only be handled once and
> stirred very carefully when blending the ingredients, so that the lumps
> are huge and not shredded.
>
> Jack

Ahh shellfish. I'm in agreement Jack, I prefer the meat right out of the
shell, or perhaps with a small bit of chopped avocado, onion and tomato
rolled on a bibb lettuce leaf and a dab of picante sauce as a change up. We
have previously talked about the Asian Red Chili (chile) pepper crab, which
I have found many a variation around the various seaports in the world in
one form or
another from Italy to China. Less "filler and binder" and more meat is
always best for crab.

Also for me Riesling is too sweet for crab, at least the crab up here. a
more dry Chardonnay perhaps but I, as you, pretty much only drink Reds
nowadays.

Back to Crab. The shell to meat ratio is relative to the size and species.
Someone here recently said he was on the wrong coast to enjoy good crab. I
find the better shellfish come from colder waters of the Pacific so
apparently he lives too far down the Coast for fresh Dungeness Crab in CA
but the Dungeness does range to Santa Barbara. Dungeness is one of the best
crab there is, bar none and he should be able to at least get lump meat
from his fish monger, especially in CA and the SF Bay. There are other good
eating crabs in the left coast Pacific waters such as the Red, Rock,
Slender, and
Yellow with fairly good shell to meat ratios compared to Eastern and Gulf.
The King Crab is appropriately named and the Squat Lobster is also very good
( it is also a Crab and the star in that CA Taco lobster lawsuit).

Now I do like the Eastern and Gulf Stones and the Blues as you say in
gumbos, especially like em when molting to soft shell. A soft shell blue
crab sandwiches in a good bar in the Chesapeake with a frosted mug is to die
for.
Snows are pretty for presentation but not one of my favorite eating crabs.
It is usually a FL senior citizen/Tourist dinner special thing. Imitation
crab? that is a Pollack usually, a bland fish which as you say is made to
look like crab and I have never liked twice cooked fish, but American tastes
are getting more adapted to fake food all the time.

2 lbs whole = 1/4 lb shelled? ?? Maybe for small Eastern/Southern Blues a
pound may get you a 1/4 lb of meat, but 2 lbs of legal crab should get you
a half lb or very close to it, even being lazy? I made Crab Quesidillas
and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas this last Sunday, (got a tip on a market
special for Dungeness this last weekend from the meat manager). 2.99 a lb.
I got 2 crabs weighing in @ 3.47 lbs for the pack, plucked out a bit over 1
1/4 lbs of meat but I do dig deep and also save the "butter". So like I
said it is all relative and I do not think much different from other meat on
the hoof although I think it was Mark Twain that said he wanted to be full
after eating, not tired when asked about eating crab. Most grocers have a
refrigerated Lump crab for sale @ about the same price as trying to get one
fresh and then shelling it yourself.

The canned is usually not a good option as it is mostly seconds or thirds
from a Cannery.

some recipe links that may or may not be helpful
http://www.mexgrocer.com/197-fiestacrabcrisps.html

http://cbs2.com/optwellrecipes/local...009230714.html

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp...av=menu107_8_1

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1645...253192,00.html

http://food.sunset.com/sunset/recipe...pe_id=52 3601

This is a "twist" on a Swedish/Mexican Crab link;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhKSKJQvgYs