Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Brandied tangerines

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:

> It was simple economics. I checked the price I paid and in dollars (for
> 750ml):
> (approximate)
> 95% Grain alcohol $4 19 NIS (new Isaeli sheckels) @ 4.25 = $1
> Cheap Brandy/vodka $8 38 NIS
> "decent vodka" $11 50+ NIS
> If I water the grain alcohol down with filtered water to 40 proof, it
> equals $1 a fifth. Watered down, would it make that much of a difference?

I think so. Make it half & half? Use port instead? That's about 40%, but
pretty strong flavor. Kind of difference between apple cider vinegar or
nice wine vinegar and the white grain vinegar.

>> And I would cook the peels gently ...

> I eat them in Chinese food. Many people do and don't know it. If you go
> into
> a chinese grocery, you find dried tangerine peels, but no dried orange
> peels.
> Think about that the next time you eat Orange chicken. :-)
> However, no one else in the house will eat it. Hot and sweet is not a
> combination that anyone else in my family likes.

I like that too! And it just means more for us!

> Sounds good. I don't have a BBB, they are NOT available here. A friend is
> scouting second hand sales in Colorado for me, she will probably bring
> one for me in the Summer.
> I was hoping she would get lucky and find one of each edition, I know,
> dream on.....

That's the book. Let us know what you would like and one of us like me
can ship it, probably cheaper than the company. Most companies charge
arms and legs for shipping. Do you have _Putting Food By_? Both these
texts are very informative. And I have some new copies of Joy of
Pickling which ran me about $12US a few years ago. And about
$5 postage for that size book. I looked it up. Consider it an investment.