Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Brandied tangerines

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
> them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.
>
> What I was thinking of doing is:
> Peel the tangerines and place in large glass jars. I can't get canning
> jars, but I can get the ones that look like the old bail sealed ones with
> rubber gaskets. They are air tight, but not heat proof.
>
> Slice peels into strips, place in pan and cover with water. Bring to
> a boil and and add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and
> allow to cool so that it will not break the glass.
>
> Add peel, sugar suryp and brandy to the tangerines in the jars. Seal.
> Tap on table to dislodge air bubbles.
>
> Age for a few months at room temp (60f until end of April), then hotter.
> I can also keep them in a refigerator (35-40F).
>
> What I have no idea of is the proportions of water to brandy, and
> sugar to water. I'd also prefer to use 95% grain alcohol instead of
> brandy, it's 2/3 of the price. Maybe add wine or use the brandy as
> flavoring, and the grain alcohol for preserving?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Geoff.

This recipe of yours sounds interesting. Here in the USofA, we'll being
paying for citrus with our firstborn children - huge percent of California
crop ruined.
I've made lots of brandied cherries, pears, apples & blueberries. I made
the pear with apricot brandy and they were fab! I like the apples with
applejack. I found that grain alcohol has a very harsh taste - I wouldn't
use it. Use the brandy unless you're making barrels full, it will be worth
it in the end. Even cheap brandy might be okay. Or at the very least, use a
good quality vodka. And I would cook the peels gently until tender, in case
anybody gets the idea that one is supposed to eat them. And put that jar in
a bowl in case it oozes.
The Ball Blue book recipe for brandied pears is a good one:
10 pounds pears
4 cups water
6 cups sugar
3 cups brandy
Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar & water, bring to boil. Cook
pears one layer at a time just until tender about 5 min. Place cooked pears
in a bowl, set aside. Continue cooking syrup until thickened, about 15 min.
Remove from heat, add brandy.
Note: use white brandy for clear syrup; however, any brandy will flavor the
fruit.
More directions for BWB processing (15 min per qt.)
HTH,
Edrena