Posted to rec.food.preserving
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Brandied tangerines

It's tangerine crop time again and I'm at a loss for what to do with
them. I was thinking of making brandied tangerines to preserve them.

What I was thinking of doing is:

Peel the tangerines and place in large glass jars. I can't get canning
jars, but I can get the ones that look like the old bail sealed ones with
rubber gaskets. They are air tight, but not heat proof.

Slice peels into strips, place in pan and cover with water. Bring to
a boil and and add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and
allow to cool so that it will not break the glass.

Add peel, sugar suryp and brandy to the tangerines in the jars. Seal.
Tap on table to dislodge air bubbles.

Age for a few months at room temp (60f until end of April), then hotter.
I can also keep them in a refigerator (35-40F).

What I have no idea of is the proportions of water to brandy, and
sugar to water. I'd also prefer to use 95% grain alcohol instead of
brandy, it's 2/3 of the price. Maybe add wine or use the brandy as
flavoring, and the grain alcohol for preserving?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/