Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy) modom (palindrome guy) is offline

Default rats

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:04:51 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:
>
>> Back before Chistmas, I discovered that Shun was offering left-handed
>> knives finally. They must have heard that I'd complained about the
>> discrimination. I waited till I'd paid off my holiday debt to buy a
>> santoku for myself (I gave my Furi santoku to my daughter when she set
>> up her kitchen in another city). I'd bookmarked the left hander at
>> Cutlery and More in anticipation.
>>
>> So I wrote a big check to Visa this afternoon, getting me mostly right
>> with Santa, and promptly surfed over to my knife's site.
>>
>> It's out of stock. There must be more south paws out there than Shun
>> imagined.

>I'm confused. There are a lot of items for lefties, but knives, in my
>experience, are symetrical. They should work the same for both. Am I
>missing something?

Shun handles aren't symmetrical. A cross section resembles a "D" or
a backwards "D" so that it fits into your palm with one contour and
behind your knuckles with another. Apparently being left handed is
not coddled in Japan like it is in our more permisive, USAian society,
so Shun knives were not even made for lefties till sometime last year
as far as I know. I only saw that they were available at a Sur la
Table store in Dallas in December.

Incidentally, when my grandfather died some years ago, we found a
wood-shaping tool in his collection that was made to be used only with
the right hand. It was a hatchet with a blade that was only beveled
on the left side and flat on the other, a kind of sideways adze, made
for plane-like wood forming on a rough scale before more delicate
instruments would be applied to the task.
--

modom

http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html