Posted to alt.food.wine
Godzilla[_3_] Godzilla[_3_] is offline

Default Folie a Deux Zinfandel

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:34:03 -0500, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Godzilla wrote:
>> Last night, we made a simple marinated broiled flank steak with hash brown
>> potatoes, and asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto, sprinkled with grated
>> Asiago and good Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Not bad, if I do say so. ;-)
>>
>> With it, I opened a Folie a Deux 2003 Amador County Zinfandel.
>> I was impressed with the forward plum and cherry nose and the pepper and
>> spice overtones. The body was almost syrupy, with glycerides running down
>> the glass. On the Davis scale, I would give it a 17 plus.

> I believe that '03 was the last vintage overseen by Scott Harvey at
> Folie a Deux (before its purchase by Sutter Home). Scott has been one
> of the foremost advocates of Amador County Zinfandel for decades now,
> and he retained access to the Grandpere vineyard even after his
> departure from Renwood. I doubt that more recent Folie a Deux Zins will
> measure up to the one you had.
>

>> I am constantly amazed at how many styles are being created from the
>> Zinfandel grape. The only ones that I actively dislike are when the
>> winemaker attempts to reproduce a Claret. Why? why? Why?

> Can you give a few examples of this style? To me, the most Claret-like
> Zin I can think of is probably made by Storybook Mountain, but I happen
> to quite like it. Perhaps you're thinking of a different style, though.
>
> Mark Lipton

I only recall having several different Zins at tastings in years past
where they actually boasted of achieving a "claret" style, which I
consider inappropriate for this grape. Unfortunately, my database of
computer notes does not extend back that far. I do recall visiting the
Folie a Deux winery over twenty years ago and liking their limited
selection at that time, which I don't believe included Zinfandel.

Godzilla