Posted to rec.food.sourdough
[email protected] AimSure@aol.com is offline

Default Baker's Percentages (WAS sweetening the sourdough starter)

I pretty knew at this sourdough "game".

Reference the recipe from PastorDIC below:

This seems to be a very small amount of starter compared to what I have read
in several books and other sources. I seem to recall seeing some other
postings for both similar small and greater amounts.

I am curious, Can we get a poll on the amount of starter people are using
for approximately 1 kg of final dough.

Sponge _____ ?

Liquid ______ ?

I see recipes calling for from 1/2 cup (125 ml.) "sponge" starter to 2 cups
(~490 ml.) liquid or "wet" starter. My "liquid" starter weighs in at about
250 gms. per 1 cup (250 ml.). I typically use a half cup = 120 gms.

Thanks, Jim H

Now you've got your scales try this recipe