Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Shen Shen is offline

Default Thiamine (B1) Deficiency and Tea Consumption

Hello, all,
I have just seen an interesting turn of events in a patient who has in
the last few months started to drink a goodly amount of tea for
"health" reasons (self-prescribed). I have always been an advocate of
the benefits of tea drinking; however, this fellow did go a little
overboard and has been consuming 2/3 liters daily of pu-erh or oolong,
primarily and a bit of Earl Grey. It seems his B1 levels have dropped
considerably. After doing some of research and speaking with
colleagues, we discovered that tea consumption in this amount can
support B1 deficiency. This is important particularly for congestive
heart disease patients and those whom consume alcohol (too much) since
these folks tend to need more B1 and both conditions can also lead to
dificiency.
Just a note that if you do choose to drink copious amounts of this
wonderful stuff, watch your B vitamins (eat your whole grains).
These is meant to be a suggestion and not a substition for medical
advice.
Shen