Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Default Thoughts on Bradley Smoker-smoke ring

Nonnymus wrote:

> I have a pet theory about smoke rings in meat, but will defer to the
> wisdom here in the newsgroup. My theory is that the smoke ring is not
> caused by smoke, but rather carbon monoxide given off by the incomplete
> combustion of the wood or charcoal. If you have ever seen a person who
> died from carbon monoxide poisoning, you would understand what I am
> saying. They have a deep red, purplish color- a nice "smoke ring," so
> to speak. Someday, if someone has a cylinder of CO, it might be fun to
> place a Boston Butt in a trash sack outdoors and flow in CO for a few
> hours to see if the meat gets a "smoke ring."

This thread shows a smoke ring experiment, including
some decent pictures.

<http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2991028883/m/7861049883?r=7861049883#7861049883>

In this case the smoke ring was "artifically" created in two ways

- Adding charcoal in with the wood
- Rubbing the meat with a nitrate/nitrite cure

That seems easier than using CO, but what the heck. If you
ever try it post the results. It'll be one more datapoint
to learn from.

--
Reg