Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor D. Winsor is offline

Default Thoughts on Bradley Smoker

"Reg" > wrote in message
et...
> D. Winsor wrote:
>
>> How cold do you consider freezing? I've got -14C here overnight, and -8C
>> during the day. My freezer is stocked with smoked goods, but I've been
>> considering the Bradley for fresh consistency. Do you think it would
>> perform well in the shed with my well works? Since that area is
>> minimally heated, I've been toying with the idea of putting an over the
>> stovetop vent out there to accomodate an electric smoker. High winds are
>> a big concern here in Newfoundland.

> That's what I hear from friends in the area. WINDY. Pretty
> as a picture, though.
>
> If you're in the market for an electric smoker and you're
> in a cold/windy area, you'd want a unit with a lot of heating
> power and, more importantly, maximum insulation. Bradley is not
> that high on the scale for either of those. It's somewhere
> in the middle.
>
> A common complaint about the Bradley is that it doesn't
> get hot enough. That's obviously compounded when operating
> in very cold environments.

I've also been looking at Cookshack options to, but I've got a plan to
upgrade the Bradley and then utilise the smoke generator on an old but
functioning fridge to make a true cold smoker. Besides, Crappy Tire puts
the basic Bradley on sale here regularly for $289 CDN. What with Crappy
Tire points and money I can buy the smoker unit for about the $200 CDN they
want for just the smoke generator. I thinking about the Bradley as my first
electric smoker. Perhaps it'll be my first indoor vented smoker too.

>> I've also heard there is no smoke ring when you use these. I wonder if I
>> could fake that effect with small amounts of lump charcoal dust on the
>> pucks?

> No smoke ring with an electric box smoker, unfortunately.
> You're on the right track with your solution. One trick
> is to put a chuck of charcoal near the heating element
> so it gives off smoke. This creates a visible smoke ring.
>
> You can also give it a light rub of nitrite cure before
> cooking (tenderquick, prague powder). That will create the
> same effect. Since smoke ring is purely cosmetic I don't
> bother. Personal preference there.

A smoke ring looks so damn good on brisket. I may give the powder trick a
try when I take the plunge. I'm learning a lot from Nonymous and his
posting right now. I seem to be also paralleling his sausage making
efforts.