Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindi - HappyMamatoThree Cindi - HappyMamatoThree is offline

Default The Dumbing Down of instructions was silly question

> It is exactly a total dumbdown for inexperienced cooks. I had an
> interesting conversation about it with the former editor of the local
> rag's food section. I hadn't noticed it (because I don't read cookbooks
> the way she still does) but she pointed out how method instructions have
> changed. "They don't teach how to cream butter and sugar in Home Ec
> classes any more. If you can find a Home Ec class."
>
> I like your explanations, Melondy. Thanks for coming forth. Since you
> have, I'm curious about something. You can email me if you wish. Why
> do you lurk and not post? What do you get from the group? No insults
> or anything -- just curiosity. Thanks. :-)

Barb,

I found this very interesting and have realized the same thing with each
newer edition cookbook I acquire. When I got married in 1987 I received a
copy of The Joy of Cooking, The Complete Betty Crocker Cookbook, and The
Illustrated Cook. All three are still the ones I use most and that have the
"tried and trues" that I have memorized.

Newer cookbooks don't seem to require any understanding of the mechanics of
cooking and food preparation at all. Most people don't have any idea that
there are different grades of beef, varieties of vegetables, degrees of
pasta doneness, etcetera. It surprises me, and makes for a real
inconsistency in food quality and in recipe reliability. Maybe it's just me
though.

Cindi