Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default silly question

In article >,
Melondy Hill > wrote:

> This is how I have always understood the terms. It's more a definition
> of temperature and method than amount of fat in the pan. I've noticed
> however, in the last few years how correct terms have disappeared from
> recipes in books, magazines, Internet and tv show recipes. Now they just
> say what size pan or pot and use the distinct term "cook" the food. I
> guess it's a total dumbdown for the newbie cooks but sure isn't very
> exact or educational.
>
> Hope you don't mind my butting in for a minute or two.
>
> Melondy

It is exactly a total dumbdown for inexperienced cooks. I had an
interesting conversation about it with the former editor of the local
rag's food section. I hadn't noticed it (because I don't read cookbooks
the way she still does) but she pointed out how method instructions have
changed. "They don't teach how to cream butter and sugar in Home Ec
classes any more. If you can find a Home Ec class."

I like your explanations, Melondy. Thanks for coming forth. Since you
have, I'm curious about something. You can email me if you wish. Why
do you lurk and not post? What do you get from the group? No insults
or anything -- just curiosity. Thanks. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -