Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default silly question

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > > It came to my attention awhile ago the there are semi-fixed
> > > temperatures ranges and oil amounts for panfry and sautee. That
> > > panfry temps are a little lower than the sautee temps and requires
> > > more oil. But what is the cooking method that requires a little
> > > higher temp and more oil than sautee?
> > >
> > > In the past I always used the term panfry as meaning cooked in a pan
> > > with say 1/8 to 1/4 inch oil at the higher end of medium high; where
> > > I should of used a different term.
> > >
> > > And for sautee the medium range of medium high with just enough oil
> > > to barely cover the pan.
> > >
> > > News to me:
> > > Apparently pan frying reqiures a slightly lower temp than sautee.

> > If I understand your question correctly what your asking is at what
> > temperature to fry food. If so than my only question is which food?
> >

> No you don't understand my question...perhaps I stated it wrongly.
>
> I'm asking what is the name of the cooking technique that requires higher
> heat and more oil than sautee.

"Higher and more than" are not specifics.

> An example of stuff cooked...say a stirfry but not in a wok, say
> browning/searing some meat that you will finish in the oven at 375F.

"Stuff" is not a type of food... and stuff is certainly not a cooking
technique as in frying... you're confusing methodology with
quantification.

You really do need to learn how to write... I'm surprised you can read
a recipe and comprehend... perhaps you can't, which would explain your
post.

Saute and stir fry are exactly precisely synonomous. Quantity of oil
used is directly proportional to the quantity of food, and whatever fat
fetishes one has. What type of cooking vessel one chooses makes no
nevermind, so long as it doesn't leak. Deep frying implys that the fat
is deep enough to completely submerge the food, but the same results
can be achieved with only enough fat to submerge food halfway, if one
is experienced. How much fat the food will absorb is primarily a
product of cooking temperature, and secondarily the type of food.

But you're talking about utilizing two different cooking methods, as
many recipes do.

You heard of Shake N' Bake... well you're doing Sear N' Bake

Frying simply means cooking in fat... only parameters to consider for
choosing a cooking temperature are type of food and smoke point, which
is a very narrow range, all frying is done somewhere between
350ºF-400ºF, with the majority occuring at/near 375ºF. You really
don't have much of a choice regarding frying temperatures... most all
frying is done within a ten degree range. Experineced cooks don't
measure fryiing temperature, they observe cooking results and
interpolate, something only experience can impart.

I don't think you really have any question... you're merely
illustrating that you're confused... did you have too much gin last
night... I'm giving you the benefit of any doubt so don't get
emotional, eh.

Sheldon