Frogleg

Default Condiments - Vinegar

(xyz) wrote:

>> >Are there any condiments that aren't made with vinegar? It seems like
>> >everything I look at contains vinegar - ketchup, mayonnaise, salad
>> >dressing. I prefer not to be pickled - at least while I'm still
>> >alive.

>> A "condiment" is a spicy or savory compliment to foods. You can make
>> salad dressing and mayonnaise with lemon juice instead of vinegar, if
>> that pleases you. But most relishes, chutneys, and savory sauces
>> contain vinegar. For a reason, one assumes. I don't think there's any
>> chance of becoming "pickled" by a pickle (or smoked from eating lox,
>> or fried by a visit to KFC). Acidic ingredients (vinegar, wine,
>> citrus) are rather too common to avoid.

>Sometimes tho', vinigar is _not_ a flavor I want.... so you just have
>to read the bottles, or learn to make your own stuff.

I mis-spoke/mis-wrote "most...contain vinegar." I should have said
most contain acidic ingredients -- vinegar, citrus, etc. I have no
idea of the relative acidity of lemon juice as opposed to vinegar
(Barb?), but if the OP didn't want to be pickled from the inside,
he/she'd do well to stay away from lemonade, too. :-)

What *does* the "5% acidity" label on a bottle of kitchen vinegar mean
anyhow? 5% the strength of pure hydrochloric acid?