Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried Limes

Hello, Steve!
You wrote on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:25:10 GMT:

??>> I first saw cooked dried limes in a spinach dish at a
??>> Persian restaurant. They were great. So I got a large bag
??>> of aging limes at a cheap produce shop for $1. Left them
??>> in a warm dry spot for a few months until completely dry.
??>> Made a thick ham and bean soup with a few cut up dried
??>> limes thrown in. After a few hours of cooking the peels
??>> get tender. This added wonderful tart bits of flavor to
??>> the soup. I highly recommend in bean dishes. If you see a
??>> bag of old limes in the discount bin, be sure to dry and
??>> try.

SW> Limes are so cheap (6-10 for $1, or key limes 12 for $1)
SW> that you shouldn't have to wait until they they're almost
SW> rotten.

Why not buy dried limes in a Persian or Middle-Eastern market if
you can find one? Limes can be as cheap as you say but they
weren't this week!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: