Karen O'Mara

Default peas and thank you

Julia Altshuler > wrote in message news:<HtLEc.7825$%_6.4808@attbi_s01>...
> The winter up here was so cold this year that I got out as soon as I
> could in April to plant something, anything; I didn't care as long as I
> was digging. I planted peas which the package said could go in the
> ground early. Yesterday I harvested peas. I don't think I'd ever
> tasted them fresh before. I've always found the frozen ones to be
> edible but nothing like this. These were candy just shelled and eaten raw.
>

> I tossed them around in a little butter with carrots yesterday just long
> enough to get them heated, then added some cream and grated cheese and
> combined that with pasta. Very good.
>

> I'd like more ideas. I'd put them raw in salads (I grew lettuce too),
> but they're hard to capture with a fork. I understand that overcooking
> is the enemy of fresh peas. Stir fried with other vegetables and served
> over rice? I feel like I've got gold and don't want to waste it. I
> have enough for about 3-4 more meals.

My sisters and I often reminisce about how good the peas were in my
Grandma's garden in Lancaster, Minnesota. They were fun to eat
standing in the garden. I remember my mom had a simple salad recipe of
fresh peas, cheddar cheese in cubes the size of peas, and mayonnaise
and s&p. Sounds like a midwest salad, doesn't it? Anway, I envy your
peas... have peas envy. ha.

Karen