Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] is offline

Default Side dish for Prime Rib

On 12 Jan 2007 16:04:03 -0800, "
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Im making a prime rib and was looking for an interesting vegetable side
>dish to serve with it. any suggestions??
>Thanks

You might try:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Potato Gratin With Mustard And Cheddar Cheese

vegetables

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 pound cheddar cheese; white, grated
1/4 cup flour
5 pounds russet potatoes; peeled, thinly slice
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs
and stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 10 mins. Cool crumbs.
(Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and let stand at room
temperature.)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400F. Butter
15x10x2" (4 qt.) glass baking dish. Mix thyme, salt and pepper in
small bowl. Combine grated cheddar cheese and flour in large bowl;
toss to coat cheese. Arrange 1/2 of potatoes over bottom of prepared
dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of thyme mixture, then 1/3 of cheese mixture over.
Repeat layering of potatoes, thyme mixture and cheese mixture 2 more
times. Whisk chicken broth, whipping cream and mustard in medium bowl
to blend. Pour broth mixture over potatoes.

Bake potatoes 30 mins. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over. Bake until
potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, about 1 hour longer. Let
stand 15 mins. before serving.

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Yield: 12 servings

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)