Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
farmwife farmwife is offline

Default Unglazed quarry tile for baking stones

Adam Preble wrote:
I wanted two cheap pizza stones that I could double up and use to bake
bread and such. I've seen suggestions online to look into unglazed
quarry tile with some caveats. Most noteably, graphite is a bad idea
because it's radioactive--though I imagine that's not the least of it.

At the local Home Depot, they only had slate. It was very rough and
didn't seem suitable. Does anybody have a suggestion on a stone and of
any stores that might have it? I'm trying to get 15" tiles.

Consider taking an large unglazed flower pot saucer and putting it in
the oven upside down. saw this on a food show a while back.