Wayne

Default Sous vide cooking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young > wrote in news:40DEEFF6.91EB1472
>> @monmouth.com:

>>>As most of us are not chefs or speak French, perhaps you could
>>>explain. I don't feel like looking up the expression, myself.
>>>
>>>nancy
>>>

>> Basically, it means cooing food in a vacuum-sealed pouch or bag.
>> Quite a few chefs have done this, including things like foie gras,
>> vegetables, etc. Supposedly it concentrates flavors and maintains
>> vitamin and nutrient content.

> A bit off the mark. It means prepping food now and being able to serve
> it later after holding cold or frozen. Of course it can't concentrate
> flavors since everything that went into the package is still in there
> and maintaining nutrients is a very complex subject that won't be much
> influenced by being in a bag.
>
> Pastorio

I'm sure you know much more about it than I do, but some of the accounts
I've read mention it only as a cooking medium for the effect that using a
sealed bag has on the food. The subject of prior storage, cold or
frozen, did not appear to be a factor. Frankly, I don't think it would
be a cooking method I'd care to use or even try.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.