Bob (this one)

Default Sous vide cooking

Wayne wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in news:40DEEFF6.91EB1472
> @monmouth.com:
>

>>serge wrote:
>>
>>>Hi !
>>>I bought a FoodSaver machine (VAC1050) used generally for vacuum
>>>packaging.
>>>I would like to know if it's possible to do "sous vide cooking" with
>>>the FoodSaver bags.
>>>Thanks for the information !

>>As most of us are not chefs or speak French, perhaps you could
>>explain. I don't feel like looking up the expression, myself.
>>
>>nancy
>>

> Basically, it means cooing food in a vacuum-sealed pouch or bag. Quite a
> few chefs have done this, including things like foie gras, vegetables,
> etc. Supposedly it concentrates flavors and maintains vitamin and
> nutrient content.

A bit off the mark. It means prepping food now and being able to serve
it later after holding cold or frozen. Of course it can't concentrate
flavors since everything that went into the package is still in there
and maintaining nutrients is a very complex subject that won't be much
influenced by being in a bag.

Pastorio