Bob (this one)

Default Sous vide cooking

serge wrote:

> Hi !
> I bought a FoodSaver machine (VAC1050) used generally for vacuum
> packaging.
> I would like to know if it's possible to do "sous vide cooking" with
> the FoodSaver bags.
> Thanks for the information !

Yes, you can do it. The bags are designed to be able to be heated in
boiling water. But if you're doing it in any but the smallest
quantities, you're better off going to a plain-bag sealer.

Prepare the food, put into bags, vacuum and rapidly chill or freeze.
To rehydrate, drop into boiling or simmmering water. That's the
theory. In practice, it's a good bit more complex. Sauces don't behave
as you'd expect, various foods don't freeze well, others change with
the different than normal treatment.

We used this technique in a few of my restaurants and it was a real
learning experience. We ruined a lot of food developing technical
specs for what we were doing.

Pastorio