Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Looking for a big Deep Fryer

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote on 05 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > >
> > > No more or less risk.

> > Oh? The purpose-built deep-fryer will have a thermostat
> > to prevent overheating, cracking the oil, and subsequent
> > major fire. It will also have a stable footing, compared
> > to a pot sitting on a stovetop. A big one will have a
> > spigot for draining the oil safely, rather than tipping
> > the pot over to pour its contents into another container.
> >

> Ask a fireman if in doubt...the purpose built deep fryer is hard to
> clean... so the grease builds up effecting it's operation and causing
> fires due to thermostat failure or short circuits etc. Plus the purpose
> built deep fryer is left unattended more often, and a working unattended
> kitchen appliances is just another way to spell fire.
>
> If you're using just a pot on the stove, I suspect you'd at least
> consider supervising it's use stricter, I do.
>
> I've been making the occassional french fries on my stove for over 30
> years with just a deep pot, peanut oil, a thermometer and a spyder. In
> fact my french fry pot has out lived my last stove. Never even a hint at
> a fire. Sure there are safety rules to follow like not over filling the
> pot with oil and paying attention to the whole procedure, but most folks
> would understand that.
>
> The stove has better btu's than any, but the large commercial deep fry
> units; so it will reach and stay at temp better than say a fry daddy.
>
> Deep fry units are bulkly to store. And IMHO a general PIA.

No thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer should be trusted, always
use a thermometer with ANY deep fat fryer.

Regardless which method used all the deep fat frying rules must be
adhered to, including never leave unattended, never any children
permitted in the kitchen. All counter top deep fat fryers are
inherently dangerous in so much that they are used on counter tops, and
that they have a line cord... a stove top pot is far safer... Lodge
sells heavy cast iron set ups.