Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] is offline

Default Outstanding Beef Barley Soup Recipe

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:57:34 -0500, Goomba38 >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>I think a classic beef barley soup is what a basic cookbook like Betty
>Crocker excels at.

<snip>

I learned to cook - literally - with _Better Homes and Garden's
Cookbook_ ca. 1968. It had great basic recipes and even better
explanations on things like different cuts of meat, kitchen
terminology, cooking times, "a Jerusalem artichoke is...,"etc. It also
had some recipes that I use to this day (a *killer* shish ke bab
marinade and basting sauce, for instance). Between BH&G's cookbook and
_Joy of Cooking_, I never poisoned anyone...at least, anyone who lived
to tell the tale <g> and it led to a passion for cooking. I still
occasionally consult the old BH&G when comfort food (or shish ke bab)
is called for!

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)