Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Outstanding Beef Barley Soup Recipe

King's Crown wrote:
>> I think a classic beef barley soup is what a basic cookbook like
>> Betty Crocker excels at.
>>
>> And I too have never heard of ground beef or "spaghetti sauce" used
>> in one.
>> Now my father did make a great Patate Zuppe that sometimes used a
>> bit of leftover tomato sauce and the meatballs had ground beef....
>>

> I was researching the net while RCS chatting last night looking for a
> good basic Beef Barley Soup and those are the things I found in
> different recipes.... ground beef, 1 cup of spaghetti sauce, acorn
> squash...a squirt of ketchup. I was getting grossed out. LOL Then
> Nancy to the rescue.
>
> Lynne

I cannot understand ground beef and spaghetti sauce, ketchup???? EWWWW!,
either. Perhaps those recipes are geared towards the pre-packaged food
crowd who want to pretend they are making something from scratch? Acorn
squash makes absolutely NO sense in beef/barley soup!

Jill