Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Outstanding Beef Barley Soup Recipe

"King's Crown" > wrote

> Nancy said it wasn't anything special, but it sure turned out to be.

Wow! I'm telling you, straight out of Betty Crocker. Sure sounded
a lot better than what you were finding, spaghetti sauce, ground beef?
Nah.

> Hubby wasn't too happy when I said "Beef Barley soup for dinner tonight."
> He said it wasn't his favorite, but he'd eat it. He's been working on the
> grout and caulking in the bathroom. He'd come out and make comments...
> first comment: That beef sure smells good when you brown it. Comment #2:
> Smells like you're making stew.

I was going to mention, when you're making this soup, it smells *great*.

> Comment #3: Sure looks good. When will it be ready? And finally Comment
> #4: This is sure different from what I've had in the past. The beef is
> so fresh and I really like all the vegetables in this delicious broth. He
> ate 4 bowls. Good thing I doubled the batch just incase. I suspect he's
> only had canned Beef Barley soup.

I'm really happy you liked it. I'm always a little nervous posting
recipes because you never know if it's going to be to someone else's
taste.

> As per Nancy's notes I doubled the marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. MSG I
> don't own any. I only had petite cut canned tomatoes, which worked out
> nicely. Turned out perfect. On my way to freeze some before hubby eats
> it all up.

All it needs is a slice of seeded rye bread and butter. Lynne, thanks
for the note. Made me smile while I'm just waking up.

nancy