Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown King's Crown is offline

Default Outstanding Beef Barley Soup Recipe

Nancy said it wasn't anything special, but it sure turned out to be. Hubby
wasn't too happy when I said "Beef Barley soup for dinner tonight." He said
it wasn't his favorite, but he'd eat it. He's been working on the grout and
caulking in the bathroom. He'd come out and make comments... first comment:
That beef sure smells good when you brown it. Comment #2: Smells like
you're making stew. Comment #3: Sure looks good. When will it be ready?
And finally Comment #4: This is sure different from what I've had in the
past. The beef is so fresh and I really like all the vegetables in this
delicious broth. He ate 4 bowls. Good thing I doubled the batch just
incase. I suspect he's only had canned Beef Barley soup.

As per Nancy's notes I doubled the marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. MSG I
don't own any. I only had petite cut canned tomatoes, which worked out
nicely. Turned out perfect. On my way to freeze some before hubby eats it
all up.

Lynne

Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker

(I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
the seasonings. nancy)

1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
1/4 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup uncooked barley

Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through
the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
35 minutes.