Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan
sd sd is offline

Default looking for simple indian recipes (vegetarian)

In article . com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> I;ve been told to always cook the spices seperately in a dry skillet
> before adding them. Does it work to just dump in the cumin, coriander,
> etc with the rest of the ingredients??

It works the way any other recipe substitution works: if you like
the taste, then it's okay (though maybe not authentic).

I would, however, recommend toasting the spices the first time you
make a recipe. Toasting really does change the flavor of a spice, as
does crushing it before use (or toasting _and_ crushing it). I was
given an object lesson in that from a native Indian cook.

sd