Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Romertopf clay pot technique?

Phil > wrote:

> After a couple hours, looked in oven and saw that lid was tilted off
> the pot and the food was ruined. Obviously steam had blown the lid off.
>
> Is this common and how to prevent? Did not read of any tip or instance
> this happening. Or is this Mexican version a design defect and this is
> the reason the original buyer got rid of it?

This is certainly most unusual. Never happened with my Römertopf,
anyway. Also, at the temperatures suggested, the amount of steam should
not normally be enough to lift the lid. There are even some recipes,
notably the Alsatian baeckeofe, using earthenware pots that call for the
lid to be not only tightly-fitting, but also for sealing it hermetically
with flour and water paste.

Victor