Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant Michael Plant is offline

Default The perfect cup of tea

[Lew]
>> In the immortal words of Larry Wall, "There's more than one way to do
>> it."

[Fran]
> Oh, there is more than one way to do it, but that does not make the
> alternative methods correct. The use of boiling water for black tea is
> the one rule that should never be violated. It is even more important
> than the quality of tea used, or the use of loose tea vs a teabag. I
> would rather have a cup of tea made with a Lipton tea bag (never my
> first choice) and boiling water than a cup of tea brewed with the
> finest loose leaves and water that is below the boil.

[Michael]
I respect your opinion, and that is exactly
what it is, no more. I will not make a
claim that boiling water will ruin red (black)
tea, but I let the temperature fall slightly in
most cases and *in my opinion* the tea benefits
for the slightly lowered temperature.

Some black teas are quite delicate, being mostly
buds. Although they are fully oxidized, still there
is a hint of "green-ness," what I like to call a
reedy-ness, something fresh and good. That quality
can be burned away.

Let us say that each tea needs to be explored on
its own merits, and approaches need to vary.
Meanwhile, to state the obvious, you are welcome
to your opinion.