Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
The Galloping Gourmand The Galloping Gourmand is offline

Default Mole negro?

Jack Tyler wrote:

> "CHILHUACLE NEGRO Heat: 4-5
> This prized and very expensive chile is grown, like the related
> chilhuacle amarillo, only in southern Mexico. Shiny, dark, mahogany in
> color, and shaped like a miniature bell pepper or almost heart shaped.
> Measures about 2 to 3 inches long and the same across at the shoulders.
> One of the most flavorful of all chiles, it has a deep, intense fruit
> flavor, with tones of dried plum, tobacco, and liquorice, and a subtle,
> spicy heat. Used to make the black mole sauces that are a specialty of
> the Oaxaca region."

The first time I ate Mole Poblano, in a Rosarito Beach resort, it seems
to have been made with those chilhuacle negro chiles. They made the
mole taste like a cigarette butt had be added to the sauce.

That taste might actually be an aphrodisiac to a guy who would put up
with a girl friend who smoked three packs a day, but not me.

> The photo of the above chile shows it to be almost black.. hence the
> name "negro".

It's a very, very dark green, according to one image I found on google..