Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan
Rusty[_1_] Rusty[_1_] is offline

Default looking for simple indian recipes (vegetarian)

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
> getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.
>
> I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
> completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
> on the web, can someone recommend a book?

Red Lentil Spinach Stew

2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion (or 1 cup) - diced
5 cups water (or vegetable broth)
2 cups dry red lentils
2 cups (or 28-oz can) diced tomatoes
1-1/2 cups (or 10-oz pk) thawed spinach
2 Tbs butter
2 tsp dried basil
1-1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
a pinch to 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

In a 5-qt stockpot, fry onions in olive oil until browned.

Add remaining ingredients and stir well.

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30-minutes,
stirring occasionally, until lentils are done.

Partly blend with stick blender.

Serve with yogurt.

Makes 8-cups.

Rusty