Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.indian,rec.food.veg,alt.food.vegan
Amanda Amanda is offline

Default looking for simple indian recipes (vegetarian)

Amanda wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for some simple indian food recipes. I'm having trouble
> > getting other than ad sites when I search for this with Google.
> >
> > I'm looking for simple (or simpler...)- it's okay if it's not
> > completely authentic or is westernized. If there aren't good resources
> > on the web, can someone recommend a book?

> I just googled it with "chana dal" and got this:

http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

Since I don't like complication, I chose "simple chama dal" and it is:

(Note: You can buy Garam Masala; BTW, I would have a meat dish also,
curry or kabob)

Ingredients:

2 cups (uncooked) chana dal

6 cups water

1 large onion

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garam masala1

salt to taste

Preparation:

Simmer dal until tender. Purée part of it. Carmelize onion in a bit of
olive oil. Add garam masala and simmer a bit more. Add onions to dal.

Serving suggestions:

Serve over a bed of one-half rice and one-half barley. Top with
fat-free sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt.

Notes:

1Garam masala is a mixture of fragrant, pulverized spices. In Bengal it
consists of cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. In other parts of India it
may also include black peppercorns, nutmeg, coriander, and other
spices. All Indian stores sell ground garam masala.