Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

Default American foodies and how they grew

In article > ,
"Dan Goodman" > wrote:

> > The Twin Cities are growing up, gastronomically, but there still are
> > plenty of people here who have led very sheltered lives with food.
> > I'm hoping our new Latino, African, and Hmong residents will change
> > that.

> I'm not the most adventurous person around, actually. I've never tried
> lutefisk, and don't intend to. Or the Ethiopian bread which looks like
> gray sponge (available in the Cub near Lake and Minnehaha).

Understood. I tried lutefisk once. It was OK -- I could swallow it
:-) But I now see why people drown it in butter or white sauce: it
gives it a nicer flavor and makes it swallow easier :-) I've
checked "Try lutefisk" off my life's to-do list.

The bread you speak of is injera, and I've grown to love it. It _is_
an acquired taste (my ex said it always reminded her of cold
pancakes). I prefer it warm to cold, but it works. Reminds me of a
sourdough -- a bit tangy. It is surprisingly low in carbs (one big
sheet is about 10 effective carbs), so it's become a much bigger
player in my diet.

sd