Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

Default Waiting until charcoals turn white before cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Someone told me that when cooking with charcoal, I should wait for them
> to turn white before cooking (they told me to wait about 45 minutes),
> and the reason was because black charcoal leaches something toxic. Any
> comments or suggestions?

rule of thumb used to be 1/3 white -but that was before the "easy-start"
charcoal.

I assume the quick-start briquet coating has a type of paraffin/oil that
coats the entire briquet, so with that type I would want the entire surface
to be white so I would be sure the quick-start material was totally gone.