Posted to rec.food.preserving
Goomba38 Goomba38 is offline

Default Making Wine Vinegar

My grandmother always made wine, and sometimes vinegar. I have not made
either and no longer have family alive of the generations that could
advise me from their experience. My new cookbook (Giulliano Bugialli's
"Foods of Naples and Campania") gives simple instructions for the making
of vinegar using bread as the mother and a dry red wine. It sounds worth
a try and certainly couldn't be easier.
I have an opened bottle of Walasiyi Wine Country Blood Mountain Red from
Georgia that was a tad "rich" for my liking as a table wine. Someone
likened it to port, if that helps describe it?
Do you think this would be an appropriate wine to give vinegar making a
shot with? Of course if I'm not going to drink it I have little to
lose, but I'd use it to cook with otherwise.