Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

Default American foodies and how they grew

In article > ,
"Dan Goodman" > wrote:

> I've read that in the 1950s, bratwurst turned out to be too exotic for
> the Twin Cities.
>
> At a German festival.
>
> Things have changed.

_Some_ things have changed. If I had a quarter for every time I
heard someone refer to "Eye-talian" food (which, generally, isn't
Italian at all), I could move to Italy and live there. It kills me a
little that chains like Lee Ann Chin (generic Chinese-American
steam-table food) and Olive Garden still top "reader's choice"
polls.

The Twin Cities are growing up, gastronomically, but there still are
plenty of people here who have led _very_ sheltered lives with food.
I'm hoping our new Latino, African, and Hmong residents will change
that.

sd