Old 29-12-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will[_1_] Will[_1_] is offline

Default Sourdough bread and the bread machine dough cycle

PastorDIC wrote:

A few minutes
later I checked the dough cycle and it was too wet, so I added more
flour...

At the end of the mixing cycle I checked it and it was still to
wet. I started the cycle again and added more flour...

Whole grain breads behave a bit differently than all purpose or bread
flour breads. For one thing, they hydrate a lot more slowly. So they
seem to be wet (and are indeed wet) until the bran eventually absorbs
this "loose" water. So you were correct to observe this "wetness" but
perhaps too quick in correcting it.

One thing to always keep in mind is pace. When you're in SD mode...
take your time g.