Vox Humana

Default Is this generally true about baking yeast?

"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:57:26 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>

> >"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message
> >> Is the following generally true about interchanging yeast types in
> >> bread making?
> >>
> >> .....Alan

> >Yes, it is true. Check out the home sites for Red Star Yeast and/or
> >Fleischmann's Yeast
> >Janet
> >

> That's where I built the text from - Fleischman's, Red Star's, and
> SAF's web sites. But I'd like to get a consensus of opinion of
> whether it's generally true before I put it into the FAQ.
>
> The more I think of it I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to
> try to find fresh cake yeast. I can't recall ever having seen it here
> in Florida or Georgia before. Maybe it spoils too fast down here or
> something.

I doubt that spoilage is a factor because all stores are climate controlled.
It is just as hot and humid here in August as it is most of the year in
Florida and we still have fresh yeast. It is usually found in or near the
refrigerator case where dairy products or packaged bisquites are sold. The
display isn't very obvious. In fact, I just noticed the fresh yeast display
in the store were I have been shopping for several years because it is with
the refrigerated buisquite and I wouldn never think of buying them. Our
Winn-Dixie carries fresh yeast, and I know that chain has stores in Florida
and Georgia. Maybe you could try there. I don't use fresh yeast because I
can get active dry yeast for a small fraction of the cost.