Posted to rec.food.cooking
LadyJane LadyJane is offline

Default Flavoured olive oils......

kenkozak wrote:
> I remembered reading about flavored vinegars and oils a while back and just
> went to Google to search "flavored oils dangers." The problem is
> potential for botulism or e-coli. The concensus is that it's not a good
> idea unless you keep the oil refrigerated and use it quickly. Even vinegars
> have problems. Here are a few links.

Thanks for the links - on reading through the information it seemed
most likely botulism would be a possible threat if the 'additives' and
oil weren't heated to 240-250DegF... which is what I did.
There were no 'raw' ingredients (chillies were already commercially
prepared, and the garlic was either added to the heating oil, or
roasted for 45 minutes) other than the rosemary & dill which were well
and truly scalded when I added the hot oil & then sealed the bottles
immediately.

> http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/co.../cc000804.html
> http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1542272
> http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=2151