Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Natarajan Krishnaswami Natarajan Krishnaswami is offline

Default Quinoa

On 2006-12-21, Omni in Atlanta > wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes for Quinoa. I've been
> just tossing it with stir-fried or steamed veggies. I also love using
> it with steamed Kale (or other) greens -- just some pepper sauce and
> I'm good to go.

> One tip: I've noticed that if I thoroughly rinse it before cooking that
> I avoid the 'earthy' flavor some dislike.

The coating contains saponins; they're being heralded as some sort of
wonder phytochemical, but they taste bitter and unpleasant (soapy,
even) IMO.

Traditionally, it was used to complement corn (maize), as it contains
amino acids and minerals corn is not rich in. (In that vein, I added
some to a corn soup I made tonight, to make it more nutritious while
adding a neat texture variation.)

I like to cook it briefly, rinse with cold water and drain, and make
into salads (like tabbouleh). It fills the niche nicely for pasta
salads, as a couscous or small grain replacement for Passover, etc.

This is one of my favorites:

1 cup quinoa, raw
10 dates, diced
1 med. onion, diced
1 bunch scallions, sliced (including the green parts)
1 bunch parsley, minced
1 big tomato, diced (opt)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4-6 Tbsp olive oil (to taste/texture preference)
salt, herbs and black pepper to taste

Cook the quinoa. Rinse in cold water and drain well. Mix everything
together.

Tonight, writing this prompted me to add a bit (1/4 cup) to my soup.
Between that and the polenta, it turned out more like a porridge than
a soup. Sure tastes good!

1 tsp ghee (opt)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced (~4oz)
12 oz frozen corn
bouillon cube
4 oz white wine
4 cups water
1/2 cup polenta (yellow corn grits/very coarse meal)
1/2 tsp dried thyme, ground
1/2 tsp dried oregano, ground
1/2 tsp dried cumin, ground
pinch of ground red chili
a little salt
1/4 cup quinoa
4 oz milk (or less cream) (opt)
pepper to taste

Heat the fat.

Saute the onions briefly, then add the corn and bouillon cube.

Stir rapidly till the corn is dry and starts to stick.

Deglaze with wine. Stir, being careful to stir the bottom.

Once the wine has reduced almost entirely, add the water.

Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the
polenta and herbs/spices.

Rinse the quinoa well, then add it.

Simmer till it has reduced by about a third, and the texture is to
your liking.

Add milk, if desired.