Posted to alt.food.vegan
t.racer t.racer is offline

Default PLEASE HELP! Starting a vegan restaurant!

I live in San Diego (USA) and have seen vegan restaurants with GREAT
FOOD go belly up. From my observations, I am of the opinion that the
owners go wrong by trying to do it all themselves, failing to
delegate. Think about it logically, if veganism is to promote
kindness and health, then why would a vegan restaurant owner want to
exploit its few workers or cheap out and fail to hire the necessary
workers? I think you should let the workers run the restaurant and
share the profits. Then, as long as the food is good, it will for
sure thrive. The vegan restaurants I've seen bite the dust didn't
lack for customers. The owners just couldn't stay open regularly
because they were short staffed. Once people show up for dinner to a
closed restaurant, they feel burned, and will stop going. Then the
restaurant dies. Your restaurant must keep regular hours so the
customers will always know when to show up. To keep those hours you
need plenty of happy well compensated workers. I know I wouldn't work
in a restaurant unless I was paid my fair share of the profits. Don't
expect people to work for TIPS only or minimum wage. Your
restaurant's theme will contradict itself (be kind to animals, but
bleed your workers dry?) Sure, big chains like McDeath can stay in
business while exploiting its workers, but that's only because they
draw in the ignorant population. A vegan restaurant would be catered
more to an enlightened crowd.