Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave S Dave S is offline

Default How early can I buy my prime rib?

Goomba38 wrote:
> Dave S wrote: with the vacuum packaging they push, over packaged.
>>

> Describe this? I have always been annoyed by over packaged items but
> can't say I've ever seen this problem in the meat department? I might
> like more packaging there?

There is a lot to like. Really, thinking about it, there is less
packaging, no foam tray, or blood diaper.

Have you seen Hormel pork tenderloin packaging? Or other thick plastic
vacuum packs? It's "cryovac"ed but in small sizes, not a whole beef
tenderloin: a filet mignon.
A gold foil effect on the label side, the meat is tightly vacuum
formed to the cut. As packaging, it is superior. If you are going to
store it, or if the store has to move it around, probably better.

http://www.wegmans.com/about/pressRo...keepsFresh.asp

"Best of all, perhaps, 'Keeps Fresh' meat costs no more. A strip steak
that used to sell for $7.99 per pound in a traditional Styrofoam tray
will sell for the same price in the new packaging".

I never saw a strip steak, or anything else sold side to side for a
comparison. What I see is a lot of strange, small cuts of meat,
at what seems to be high prices.

Wegmans is very good, but there is better meat locally, even in other
supermarkets. Unless you want USDA Prime, it's one of the few places in
Syracuse that have it consistently

--
Dave S