Graham

Default Is this generally true about baking yeast?

"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:01:57 GMT, "Graham" > wrote:
>

> >"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message
> >> Is the following generally true about interchanging yeast types in
> >> bread making?
> >>

> >> "To substitute Rapid Acting yeasts for Active Dry yeasts reduce the
> >> amount of Rapid Acting used by 25% from the amount of Active Dry the
> >> recipe calls for then add the dry yeast to the dry ingredients before
> >> mixing.
> >>
> >> To substitute Active Dry for Rapid Acting increase the amount of
> >> Active Dry by 25% over what the recipe calls for of Rapid Acting yeast
> >> and dissolve in warm water (100° to 110°F) with a small amount of
> >> sugar before mixing in with the dry ingredients.
> >>

> >Strictly speaking, in the second example you should increase by 33%.
> >Graham
> >

> I won't dispute what you say, but the little (very little) info I
> could find on this says 25% or thereabouts. Why do you say 33%?

Simple mathematics. To convert dry yeast to fast you multiply by 3/4, i.e.,
reduce by 25%. To convert fast to dry you you do the opposite and multiply
by 4/3, i.e., increase by 33.33%.
However, the difference is so little that it won't make a significant
difference. I was just in a pedantic mood.
Graham